Theme Preview Rss

Back to School. Back to School.

I signed up for birthing class Friday. This one is over two evenings, as opposed to the six-evening and all-weekend options I had been looking into. I don't want to skimp on my birthing education, but I don't want to overdo it either. (Yes, I think there is such a thing. I think the less prepared I am for the actual birth, but better I'll do during it.)

Anyway, this class covers signs and stages of labor; OB anesthesia and medications; and relaxation and breathing techniques. Does that about cover it? Should I take a breastfeeding class too?

2 comments:

Shaun said...

I took a breastfeeding class and it was WONDERFUL! If you plan on nursing, I highly recommend one. Also, it's nice to have a relationship with a lactation consultant. That way, if you do need help after the baby is born, you're not calling a total stranger. Oh, and modestly flies out the window in a breastfeeding class. Be prepared for that! Does your birthing class cover what happens AFTER birth? Like when you get home? Ours did and it was nice to have a bit of advice on things like colic and what to do when you bathe your baby. It's so overwhelming, bit I like to have lots and lots of information.

Kelly said...

the maternity nurses showed me how to breastfeed. they were really great about it. besides, it's so hard to understand until you have a baby there to actually latch on that i don't know how much help it would be before. if you're having trouble after you go home with the baby, you could always call in a lactation consultant, or some nurses in the pediatrician's office usually have some certifications.